The Jewish Federation is dedicating the Jewish cemetery on Sunday, June 10, 9:30-10:30 AM at the La Puerta Natural Burial Ground and you are all invited. It is about an hour drive from ABQ and people are encouraged to carpool. We will meet at the Gazebo for some introductions and words of gratitude. Then the dedication will be led by Rabbi Min Kantrowitz, Cantor Beth Cohen, The Nahalat Shalom Klezmer Band & Rikud dancers. We will all partake in a brief ceremony which will include seven hakafot (circles) to seven psalms and klezmer music as we circle around the 1 acre Jewish cemetery. Nahalat Shalom's section is within the Jewish cemetery on the left corner. We invite you to visit La Puerta's website to learn more about the cemetery: https://www.naturalburialnewmexico.com/about.html.
Directions to La Puerta Burial Ground, Nahalat Shalom's section is within the Jewish Cemetery
- Take I-25 S to Belen Exit 195 and through downtown Belen.
- Turn left (east) on W Reinken Ave/NM 309 and continue across the Rio Grande River (about 2.4 miles).
- Turn right (south) onto Rio Communities Blvd/NM 47 South.
- Follow NM 47 S about 15 miles to just beyond the BNSF railroad crossing.
- After mile marker 4, look on the left (east) for a green metal gate next to a La Puerta sign. The gate is closed but never locked. (Please close the gate behind you.)
- La Puerta Burial Ground is 2.5 miles east toward the Manzano Mountains from the gate.
NOTE: Please follow instructions above. GPS instructions are not always accurate. Bring sunscreen, a hat or umbrella. Water will be provided.