KlezmerQuerque 2018 Schedule
Friday February 16, 6pm-9pm
FREE der Freylekher Shabes opening MEGA-Event:
- 6:00pm: Children and Families event with guest dance artist Avia Moore
- 6:30pm: der Freylekher Shabes old-country heimishe (homey) Shabbat danced service with Cantor Beth Cohen, Alavados ensemble & Rikud dancers;
- 7:15pm: Potluck vegetarian dinner;
- 7:50pm: The Rebbe's Orkestra klezmer and Judaic band with special guest dance artist Avia Moore leading dances;
- 8:05pm: Special Guest Musicians: Henry Sapoznik & Margot Leverett - Cameo Performance;
- 8:30-9:00pm: Dancing to live music with The Community Klezmer Band, Avia Moore and Rikud dance troupe.
Saturday February 17, 10am-noon
FREE Shabes Koydesh Service
Shabbat Service with Cantor Beth Cohen & Alavados band -- dancing encouraged! Includes Torah service, reading, Meditation & D'var Torah. Oneg provided.
Saturday February 17 at 7:00pm (doors at 6:30)
Concert and dance party
DOORS OPEN AT 6:30pm for this Concert & Dance Party featuring Special Guest Artists: Henry Sapoznik with Margot Leverett & dance-leader Avia Moore--plus: The Rebbe's Orkestra opening act and dance party music & Di Kavene Kapelye welcoming music at the door.
Early-bird: $18-gen. & $15-sr./stu. (After Feb. 8th: $20-gen. & $18-sr./stu.)
Sunday February 18 10:00am -- 6:00pm
FOUR workshop sessions featuring Guest Artists.
early-bird: General Admission $20.00 each Session and
Senior/Student $18.00 each session.
(After Feb. 8th: $25.00-gen. & $20.00-sr./stu. each session).
#1 SESSION 10:00am-11:30am (choose one):
- Klezmer music workshop with Margot Leverett (description TBA)
- Dance workshop--Avia Moore: Yiddish Circle Dances--Focusing on the steps, styles, and embellishments of the essential Yiddish dance genres, this workshop will cover traditional bulgars, freylekhs, horas, khosidls, and more! This class is highly recommended for all, including musicians who want to learn the dances so that they can play better dance music! Learn how to recognize dances as the music starts to play and to lead these basic dances at your next simkhe!
Break for lunch (no host)
#2 SESSION 12:45pm-2:15pm (Special featured presentation):
On Founding the Klezmer Revival: A Conversation with Henry Sapoznik.
(Nosh and break)
#3 SESSION 2:30pm-4:00pm (choose one):
- Klezmer music workshop--Margot Leverett: clarinet & woodwinds masterclass.
- Klezmer music workshop--Beth Cohen: Strings 'n Things 'n Rhythm--Make this tune sound klezmer! Melodic ornamentation, variations, fillers, krekhts, shmeers & sekund --plus riffs, accents in the "klez-klave".
- Dance workshop--Avia Moore: Shared Traditions Dances travel and change in relationship to the cultures around them, crossing borders and evolving over time into new dances. For example, “Horas" are danced to different music and steps in many European countries -and cosmopolitan dances such as the waltz became part of the standard Jewish repertoire. In this workshop, we will celebrate these connections with folk and cosmopolitan dances from neighboring cultures and time periods.
(Nosh and break)
#4 SESSION 4:15pm-5:45pm (choose one):
- Lecture presentation with Henry Sapoznik:
The Rise and Fall of Yiddish Radio 1915-1955.
- Music workshop--Margot Leverett: (description TBA).
- Dance workshop--Avia Moore: Yiddish Figure Dances-This class will focus on Yiddish dances with set figures, such as the Sher (a Jewish square dance). We will dance traditional forms and learn new dances that are increasingly becoming part of the Yiddish repertoire.
5:45pm-6pm - Abi Gezints - Farewells - Be wells